Current:Home > NewsOrganizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack -Elevate Capital Network
Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 11:28:21
VIENNA (AP) — Organizers of three Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna this week called them off on Wednesday after officials announced arrests over an apparent plot to launch an attack on an event in the Vienna area such as the concerts.
Swift was scheduled to play at the Austrian capital’s Ernst Happel Stadium on Thursday, Friday and Saturday as part of her Eras Tour.
Event organizer Barracuda Music said in a post on its Instagram channel late Wednesday that “we have no choice but to cancel the three scheduled shows for everyone’s safety.” It cited government officials’ “confirmation” of a planned attack at the stadium.
Earlier Wednesday, authorities said they had arrested two suspected extremists, one of whom appeared to be planning an attack on an event in the Vienna area such as the upcoming concerts.
The 19-year-old main suspect was arrested in Ternitz, south of Vienna, and the second person in the Austrian capital.
Franz Ruf, the public security director at Austria’s interior ministry, said authorities were aware of “preparatory actions” for a possible attack “and also that there is a focus by the 19-year-old perpetrator on the Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna,” the Austria Press Agency reported.
Ruf said the 19-year-old had pledged an oath of allegiance to the Islamic State group.
The Austrian citizen is believed to have become radicalized on the internet. Ruf said that chemical substances were secured and were being evaluated. He didn’t give more details.
The cancelation came hours after authorities said security measures for the Swift concerts would be stepped up. Ruf said that there would be a special focus among other things on entry checks and concertgoers should plan a bit more time.
Vienna police chief Gerhard Pürstl said at the same time that, while any concrete danger had be en minimized, an abstract risk justified raising security.
Austrian Interior Minister Gerhard Karner said after the cancelation that the country’s police and intelligence service had “contributed everything to ensure safe events” and that the organizer made the decision to cancel the concerts, APA reported. He said there had been “close networking with foreign security authorities.”
Barracuda Music said that “all tickets will be automatically refunded within the next 10 business days.” The same wording was posted under the Vienna dates on Swift’s official website.
The Vienna stadium had been sold out for the planned concerts, APA reported, with an estimated 170,000 fans expected for the concerts in Austria.
Swift fans took to social media to express their devastation at missing out on one of the superstar’s shows. Some who posted on social network X lamented months of now-wasted efforts to make friendship bracelets and pick out fashionable outfits for the performance.
In 2017, an attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England killed 22 people. Suicide bomber Salman Abedi set up a knapsack bomb in Manchester Arena at the end of Grande’s concert as thousands of young fans were leaving. More than 100 people were injured. Abedi died in the explosion.
An official inquiry reported last year that Britain’s domestic intelligence agency, MI5, didn’t act swiftly enough on key information and missed a significant opportunity to prevent the bombing, the deadliest extremist attack in the U.K. in recent years.
veryGood! (73213)
Related
- Elon Musk’s Daughter Vivian Calls Him “Absolutely Pathetic” and a “Serial Adulterer”
- California is sitting on millions that could boost wage theft response
- An eclectic mix of restaurants and chefs are vying for the coveted James Beard Awards
- Maren Morris Shares She’s Bisexual in Pride Month Message
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Garry Conille, Haiti's new prime minister, hospitalized
- Naomi Campbell Confirms Her 2 Children Were Welcomed via Surrogate
- It's almost a sure bet the Fed won't lower rates at its June meeting. So when will it?
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Watching you: Connected cars can tell when you’re speeding, braking hard—even having sex
Ranking
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Denise Richards, Sami Sheen and Lola Sheen Are Getting a Wild New E! Reality Series
- Heat up Your Kitchen With Sur la Table’s Warehouse Sale: Shop Le Creuset, Staub, & All-Clad up to 55% Off
- Maren Morris comes out as bisexual months after divorce filing: 'Happy pride'
- Residents in Alaska capital clean up swamped homes after an ice dam burst and unleashed a flood
- Virgin Galactic completes final VSS Unity commercial spaceflight
- Who's in the field for the 2024 US Open golf championship?
- Kim Porter's Dad Addresses Despicable Video of Diddy Assaulting His Ex Cassie
Recommendation
Bodycam footage shows high
A clemency petition is his last hope. The Missouri inmate is unhappy with it.
Wyoming pass landslide brings mountain-sized headache to commuting tourist town workers
Naomi Watts and Billy Crudup get hitched a second time: See the gorgeous ceremony
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
Judge denies bid to dismiss certain counts in Trump classified documents indictment
Naomi Watts and Billy Crudup Have Second Wedding in Mexico
Will Smith confirms he tried to adopt 'I Am Legend' canine co-star